Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sorry for the lapse in writing! I've been a little under the weather but am hopefully on the mend!

Currently I'm drinking orange-papaya juice out of aplastic bag with a straw, which definitely has to be one of those quintessential Nicaragua experiences... One of the things that I'm going to miss when I'm in Chicago... But there's so many things I'm excited about seeing, eating and doing in Chicago that I don't think I'll have too much time to think about my juice cravings...

Last week my favorite bus entertainment gave a little concert in the 119 on my way from Puntos to the centro. It's a duo, consisting of a boy about 12 yrs old with a guitar and agirl about 10, probably siblings... He strums the melodies of popular ranchera songs and the girl sings in a crooning voice that expresses a sadness that I hope she hasn't experienced yet in her life. One of the songs is Puño de Tierra, which means fist of dirt, that's about dying. My friend Tere says she wants a mariachi band to play this song at her funeral. The boy harmonizes with the girl while he's playing his guitar, and it really makes the ride a lot more enjoyable (you forget about the heat, that you're sticking to your seat, or that there's a bar sticking into your back).

Speaking of Mariachis, doña Esmeralda took all of the ladies (and one of the men) from the office out last week to celebrate Doña Thelmita's birthday in the Rotunda Bello Horizonte. The Rotunda is a traffic circle lined with fast food chicken restaurants, where mariachi bands ask you if you want them to play you songs. One of the groups played 4 songs for Doña Thelma as we sat outside of the Tip-Top chicken joint drinking beers, and she cried... We then went to a bar where a lot of people from the atlantic coast hang out and ate fish soup in coconut milk broth. It was amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home