Monday, March 05, 2007

Jews in Nicaragua

My friend Karina and I discovered a part of the small Jewish community in Nicaragua on Friday. Although we've both noticed small signs of Judaism here and there (for instance, the presence of the Star of David in strange places like auto garages and the tiles in the floor of my friend's house in the barrio) I had yet to encounter any Jews, aside from other expats like myself. Karina found out about a Shabbat dinner that happens weekly at the home of an elderly Jewish couple. Max and Sarah reminded me of my grandparents, except that they speak Spanish and were born and raised Nicaraguan. I still don't know what the story of their family is, but am very curious. Others who came to the dinner were a Russian woman and her son, 2 Israelis, and a Nicaraguan couple who seemed to be in their 30's. It felt good to come together from all different cultures as Jews to chant the same prayers, eat the Nicaraguan version of Jewish food (egg salad with lime and avocado, rice and beans, fish, salad, candied plantains), drink Toña (the national beer) and talk about politics. Karina also went to the Purim party on Sunday, which I didn't end up going to, where apparently they were going to serve kosher hot dogs and Hammentashen!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home