Tuesday, April 24, 2007

News

I started a new job working at Puntos de Encuentro last week, teaching English to their staff in the mornings from 7:30AM-9AM. My students are amazing… They are all very accomplished and talented and are working really hard to further the women’s movement in Nicaragua. I’m really excited about getting to know them and learning more about their work. I still don’t know exactly all of what they do, but you all should check out their website (www.puntos.org.ni), which I heard is very extensive (sadly, I haven’t done this yet…). I suppose it’s in Spanish though. The one thing I know they’ve done is put on a novela type show for teenagers to talk about issues like power, civic participation, violence, sexuality, etc. One of my students, Ikscra, is an actress for the program. Her character is named Martha, and is a divorced woman with HIV. There’s like 80 episodes, and they’re still making more. I have yet to watch it, but apparently you can download them on the website as well.

The other really amazing piece of news I got today is that my friend Ada, who is teaching the Sunday school class in Oak Park temple that has been doing the letter exchange with my students, raised $500 for a scholarship fund for kids in the barrio who can’t afford their monthly school fees!!!!!! Shout out to Ada and her 5th graders for doing such an amazing job! I’ll post some pictures of them selling the jewelry they made when I get them.

The other piece of news I have is that I'm moving! I found a great living situation with 2 Italian NGO workers. They live in a huge house in Colonia Centroamerica, which is the neighborhood I've been wanting to move to. There's tons of other youth living there, and it's a bit safer than where I am now. It will definitely be a change to live with other foreigners, but I'm looking forward to it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home